Jason Jiovani's active drift racing blog with videos, pictures, and build up information.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

In The Hunt

Once again we visit Charlotte, NC for SWD ProAm Series. This is round 4, taking place on the infield road course at Lowe’s Motor Speedway (a NASCAR track). We got VIP treatment, and were able to use the garages^^


 After getting setup in the NASCAR garages, we setup for our first session. We were here last year and have a head start on car setup based on that event. We had way too much grip then so we had to figure out some ways to lose grip, without… well…. losing grip.

A few runs in and we are already 10x better than 2011, and I am feeling good as the first session ends. For the first time in a while, Cody and I actually have nothing to fix! Nothing is broken and we make a few chassis adjustments to try during session 2, that should further our ability.



We mount some fresh N6000s and warm them up on the top of the hill. The first run into the course, I immediately new we had to loosen her up some more still. However, as we slid the final corner I heard a framiliar noise. “SMACK SMACK SMACK SMACK!” as the tires ripped at 70 mph. Sure sounds like a tire with a flap of rubber slamming the underside of the car. How could it be- they are brand new?! We check it out and sure enough, tire has a big strip ripping out of it. All I could think was that the last corner had rocks (from someone going off course) on it. No one seemed to have swept the course and it appears to have cost me a brand new tire. Worse than that, we hadn’t a spare set to run as we were keeping the set we scrubbed in for tandem rounds. I didn’t even have time to try to change the rubber on the wheel as there was only 15 minutes left in the session.



Qualifying was up after another hour, so we got that tire changed out and made some more key adjustments to the setup based on that single run. This is where the MAYHEM started. Cars were going into the wall every few runs. Totalled, smashed, crushed, wheels getting jammed in the wall, and even a scary slow speed crash from George Grob ended with the Jaws of Life having to cut his roof and cage out. While the chaos played out, several of us (Doug, Rapper Dan, James Evans, Nate, Brad Heyl, Lewallen, and myself) were sitting on the hill just wondering what in the world was going on. After nearly 3 hours into the qualifying session, it was our turn.


Getting one practice lap and 2 scored runs, we throw in around 75mph and had a pretty good practice and first scored run. Our last qualifying lap I over cooked the angle on entry and lost my sideways glide and had to just call off the run as I would have never made the big banked turn. We only managed a 9th place spot, battling Sammy Tiger in his beastly SR s13 vert.


We scream off the line and I dive in behind Sammy. He does a slow motion spin to the inside of turn 1, and goes off course. I took caution and drove the first turn, then remembering XDC Orlando, I initiated and drifted the remaining sections of the course. Leading in I was a little low on the bank, but we had a clean run, easily securing victory.



Time for the Top 8, and the now seeming traditional, Doug Van Den Brink vs Jason Jiovani battle. He was the number 1 qualifier, and VERY consistent here all day. We agreed its full drag race into the first corner as neither of us want to play around. Dropping the hammer, I am losing a little ground into the initiation, but I enter and keep the pedal mashed- immediately I gain on Doug. So much so I felt the need to lift a second and then he rips on throttle and drives a great run, but my car can’t make up the momentum change and I am very close to straight behind him on the bank. The rest of the course I stay with him, but it was in the hands of the judges that run. I’m not sure if they would view it as him checking up or me just getting too crazy. No time to worry, it is my turn to lead. I run it the same this time except I don’t have to lift. I put down a terrific run, and kept a gap on Doug. I did end up losing the match up. I am still really thrilled at the fact that I can stay with Doug as he is a good measure of what a FormulaD driver is. Also, in the following rounds, Brad Heyl and Nate Hamilton both made the same EXACT error vs him and they are also great drivers.
Season points are all mixed up now after Round 4. Our last and Final Round will determine licenses and right now it’s the Top 4 overall that get the FormulaD chance for 2013. Here are the new points:

1  Doug Van Den Brink*380
2   Dan Savage290
3  Nate Hamilton270
4   Jason Jiovani250
5  James Evans238
6  Bill Stenger191
 
 *Already holds a current FD License - his license will be passed down resulting in the Top 5 being licensed.


No comments:

Post a Comment