Jason Jiovani's active drift racing blog with videos, pictures, and build up information.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Ding! Ding! Round 3!


Street Wise Drift’s home base is North Carolina, and that’s where July’s round was held. The 3rd points event in the 5 event series took place at the amazing Zmax Dragway. If you have never seen this place, it has a 4-lane drag strip that can all be run at one time, making an incredible show for fans. The side parking lot is gigantic, allowing for 100mph entry if such was desired. 2011 SWD Champ and 2012 FD Rookie Patrick Goodin came out to help set up the course and judge. 


Before the J1N team could head for North Carolina, we had to make a stop at Nexen Tire. We load up with the killer n6000 and n9000’s that have made a big difference for us this year. Heading straight for Zmax, hoping to arrive early and test the layout/shakedown the car. Since Round 2 at Palm Beach, the fuel tank was replaced due to a leak, and the steering bind at high drift angle was still unsolved. The ONLY thing we could think of was to add bumpstops. The theory was that the tie rods were still over-centering; the problem is that bumpstops will take off some of our angle. I had to try it, and so we cut the adjustable stop that came with the FLCAs, and put it at a minimal (1/2 inch) stop to try.

Lastly, at PBIR we had some shifting issues. The car was performing fine, but finding 3rd and 4th when trying to slam gears, sometimes you miss, especially true on a narrow 6-speed. I had the idea of a block-off plate to stop the shifter from accessing 5th/6th and only allow up to 4th, creating a smooth side to just jam the shifter along. We didn’t get it made in time for PBIR and it was costly with all the shifting.  July 4th, I spent the morning with my pops and we made a primitive (yet really effective) prototype! Check it out:





Arriving at Zmax, we are looking at the course layout. SWD eventually dialed in a 70mph entry with the first two turns keeping that speed up, feeding into a decreasing radius left, and a smooth right hander with looooong exit. Only the organizers got to shakedown the course, so our first test runs would be the next morning.
Once again, Cody Stanfield was my crew chief. Cody has been a great asset to the team this season and really has a great variety of talents and perfect personality for the J1N family. For the first time, Cody got to ride shotgun. The surface was suuuuuper slick. We had to make huge tire pressure and suspension adjustments. After about 5 runs, we had a pretty good go at it and then a track staff noticed a drip from my car. We were losing oil. We shoot back to the pits hoping to get back out for some more runs in the session.

I park and immediately noticed a wet spot behind the car… somehow, on the way OFF the track, I caught something that put a noticeable hole, about the size of a pen tip, in the gas tank. Fuel is just pouring out. With a swift, finger + paper towel swoop, and duct tape application, Cody and I were able to look for solutions. We haven’t had a solid run yet, and now we are facing 2 event ending leaks. The oil leak is priority and we get under the car to look at the evidence. Judging from the location of the drip, and the residue on the motor, it first looked like we were facing a rear main seal issue. I noticed that the oil was up to high on the motor and went topside.  There!! There it was; the factory oil pressure sensor had failed. The diaphragm inside had broken and oil was just coming out the top. Luckily, I had a spare from the last motor! We struggle to get it unscrewed and cannot find a socket or wrench that will fit in there. Cody asked every team with no luck. While we brainstormed, I shot to the nearest store and got a fuel tank repair kit on the advice of Bill Stenger (a fellow Florida driver).  We first took a self tapping screw, and drilled that bad boy into the hole, sealing it enough to apply the patch. Back to work on the oil issue.



Right about now our last practice session is starting. We are missing all our track time!!  We have to take off the intake, fuel rails, and wiring harness to get to that sensor. It still was nearly impossible to remove, but Cody grabbed it with some channel locks and got it. Now, how to get the new one in without breaking it?!? Trying, we couldn’t get it tight at all. Then,  it happened…. The replacement sensor’s weak plastic broke. The sensor itself is not important, I have an Autometer gauge reading pressure, but now we had nothing to plug the port!  Luckily, Ben Lewallen’s uncle, a seasoned short-track racer, Macgyvered a seal using the broken replacement sensor, some silicone, and a tapered screw. Without fear of breaking it, we could grab and turn it into place. Replace the top parts of the motor and fire up. No leaks!!
Practice was over before we were done, but qualifying was coming up. We head to a meeting to discuss how the outer zones have been moved since early practice. Everyone else had driven it, but not me- I would have to qualify blind; no pressure, right?

We hurry back to the car, get her cleaned up and ready to rumble. I launched from the line and I had my best run of the day.



After the smoke cleared, we had earned a 7th place qualifying spot. Not too bad for nearly no practice!











After Top16 introducitons, and the now traditional J1N-shirt-toss, we are up against Joe Gorcesky. I lead first and have a good pass, but so does Gorcesky. Second run, I’m not sure how fast his car is, and I’m all over him off the line. I give him a second so I don’t enter into him and his boost HITS and he jumps a couple lengths on me! After entry I am 100% matted and pulling him back in some. He looks to be washing out on the outer zone and I decide to shoot under him and make the pass. I am awarded the win. I never look to pass, but Joe confirmed after the run that he was too far wide and out of shape.


Great 8 was looking to be against James Evans. James beat me in the Final4 at Atlanta, but I took him during Top16 at XDC Orlando. James being #2Q, ran against Tyler Nelson at #15Q. James had a huge bobble on his lead run, understeering and actually ended up giving away the battle. So we were set to battle Tyler. Last year at Zmax, we actually faced off in the Top16. Going in on lead I give the TrickFlow motor set a beat down- just smashing the throttle down. Cody tells me there was some bobbles from Tyler so on the follow run I play with some space at first, and reel him in, getting some great proximity by the end. I move on to top 4.

Adam Seaman is our next foe. Adam was a part of the ASD Mob program in 2011. I haven’t seen him drive yet, but we head into it, full 16 cylinder roar! He leads first and I get a little impatient. I shoot for the first inside clip about 1 second early and it costs me. I had to brake to wait for him and he pulled a great line right to the clip, forcing me to hit it. As we wound out from there, he actually was hitting all the outside cones, I ended up spinning as I watched him mow the cones HAHAHA. Well, I’m hoping that it was a 0-0 scored with his seeming off-course. I lead in and give it by far my best run of the weekend so far. Deep in the outer zones and on the inside clip, a true masterpiece. Adam stayed without any major corrections and is awarded the win. So I guess no 0-0 on the first run, but after almost not running, Final4 is a great spot to be!


Consolation round for 3rd is coming up and what would a SWD ProAm event be without a Jason Jiovani vs Doug Van Den Brink battle? That’s right, we shall faceoff yet AGAIN! Atlanta I took the win for 3rd place, Palm Beach he got the better of me in the Top16, and now another battle for 3rd. We toss in, Doug leading first. I see his front wheels looking like he is struggling with some understeer and I get that look in my eye… I keep it solid and am ready to stand on that podium. I lead and have a great run. Pretty sure I won; I wait for a call… OMT!  Oh MAN! So stressful!



We line up and we both know we have to give it 110%. I follow him in and don’t give him any free space, by the outer clip I was gaining on him and saw he looked like he was going wide! I shoot in for the clip and am side-by-side his Falken tire’d turbo Mustang! I get on the handbrake to let him transition and get right back into the throttle!! This is EPIC type battle with a FANTASTIC driver. Super pumped, my lead run I know I can’t let him get on me. I enter and floor it immediately! Straight up ROASTING my Nexens, I’m going so fast, transition, floored, suck in tight on that clip and ride out the last outerzone and finish clip, BAM, car shuts off… just OFF; Like the clipping point was kill switch. We coast to the stage area, and the car just won’t fire back up. There was a decision at least.  Getting towed up for the Final 4 finishing positions, I am running through what could be wrong.

After getting a tow to the awards area, I get lost in the moment, as we are announced the 3rd place finisher! An oversized set of SWD and EnjukuRacing checks, with a cold bottle of bubbly makes the weekend worth it!

We clean up and chat with some fans, friends, and other drivers about the event. It comes to me, maybe we ran out of fuel. Yup. Fired up once we gave her some of that refreshing pump [93]!

We came into the event in 5th place for points, come out in 4th with a close battle for 3rd and not too far from 2nd! Let the fun continue, August 4th back in Charlotte, NC for SWD #4 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. With only 2 more rounds in the SWD Championship, it is a tight race this year!

1st
Doug Van Den Brink
260
2nd
James Evans          
238
3rd
Rapper Dan Savage
196
4th
Jason Jiovani
192
5th
Bill Stenger
187
6th
Ron Ewerth
174
7th
Nate Hamilton
162











*BONUS PICS*













No comments:

Post a Comment