Jason Jiovani's active drift racing blog with videos, pictures, and build up information.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

SWD at #FDPB

VIDEO Recap!



The forecast called for a majorly wet weekend as the J1Nracing rig headed for Palm Beach International Raceway in Jupiter, FL. We arrived and got our pit situated, prepping the car for the next morning’s practice. The layout of the pits left us nearly a mile walk from the track grandstands so we didn’t get to catch any of the FormulaD driver’s practice Thursday.


Friday we are in high spirits, coming in 3rd in points and feeling good about the car and excited about the fast and technical layout. With short time, we did not get to see the track or walk it, or even do a parade lap- so our first run would be blind. StreetWise Drift decided we should run the “B” Layout first. This layout delayed the entry, making it a sharper, and slower turn than the pro, or “A” Layout.  Knowing we would have very limited runs, I was out early in line. I got the first run and it wasn’t too bad, but I at least knew what I was going into now. After 95% of the drivers made their first run, SWD changed it back to “A”- meaning that my next run would again be blind. We had a really good run, even though it was shallow on the outer zone, I connected the course well enough for a first run. As I return to the start, rain starts falling. Our next run was a waste as they began to send cars in a non-stop, few seconds gap, (3 cars were on track at a time) and the car in front of me spun on the entry. By the time I was back up to run, the track was very wet. I ripped into the turn and learn how little grip there is as we take out 3 course-marking barrels, and transition into ice that almost took me into the tire wall. Needing clean shorts, I soon realize my tires have almost no life left- explaining why the grip is 100% gone in the wet conditions.


Time up, we return to the pits and begin to prepare the car to qualify in a couple hours. Some new tires, some pressure changes, and a few clicks on the suspension and we were ready to go out. First run in we tried to play it safe (not many drivers even had a score), but felt that the run was a waste. I had a score, so it was time to go for real. Entering right along the barrels, I transition, shifting 5th instead of 3rd, but by the miracle of TrickFlow, the tires kept spinning. Correct my shift and we finish strong. Our run landed us in 6th place for qualifying!  I was very happy with the run and felt like I was ready to take some guys out in tandem. I noticed a strange sound coming from the rear and realized that the brakes were failing. The rear calipers need to be replaced.


As in Atlanta, we were able to get in the Pro vendor area with the help of Exedy Clutches. So once again, we played ping-pong with the car as the weekend progressed. It is awesome riding through the venue, and seeing people grab for cameras and snap shots as we roll through. People are in love with the car!! So many people to roll through it takes me over 15 minutes to make the 1/2 mile trip! This event was packed.

After some short sleep, we had some practice Saturday morning.  So bright and early, me and the crew hit up the local parts store and have to buy new calipers and rotors to make sure the car is as healthy as possible. We have a lot of bleeding to do and time was flying. We finish up and head out to practice. I test the brakes and handbrake and know that it needs more attention. Trackside we have to bleed more brakes. A challenge to jack up a lowered car safely in the grass, my crew pulls it off and in about 15 minutes we decide we have to try. Luckily, we got the air out and everything is in working order.  We missed so much vital time on the dry track.  After we had a few runs, I felt ok about the track, still not feeling as comfortable as I normally do.

Tandem rounds starting, we are up against Doug Van Den Brink.  I lead first and had a pretty good run going until I missed a shift, and couldn’t recover before I lost angle.  Frustrated, I lined up to follow. I want to be ON HIS DOOR to show that I deserve to move on.  We enter, and I make up the gap as we transition. I transitioned way too hard as I had to also brake getting to close to Doug, and I spun.  I knew it was over, but I had the track awareness to do an impromptu-360 and finish the course. Though the crowd enjoyed it, I had knocked myself out. After reviewing some video, I just got to aggressive and got caught up trying to not hit him.

Since the event, I have gotten some insight from ASD on the course and realize that I was attacking the course the wrong way. My assumptions and miscalculations most likely contributed to why the car felt so unstable and probably why I couldn’t get comfortable.  It’s a rough lesson, as I think we could’ve done much better.  We slip to 5th place in points, but will return to battle at SWD Round 3, July 7th.










No comments:

Post a Comment