Jason Jiovani's active drift racing blog with videos, pictures, and build up information.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

XDC Orlando 2012


While our focus is the StreetWise ProAm Series, we always look for good events to take part in. The Xtreme Drifting Circuit (XDC) is in its third year now and has a stop in nearby Orlando, FL. Recently, XDC has been under management changes and under fire for financial problems, but they seemed to be turning it around so we head over for the competition weekend. My family made the trip out to support us on this somewhat local event.
Saturday we arrive early, and tech-in. To my surprise, I fail tech on the same car I had the year before that passed. I fixed the car to a sufficient level and skimmed into the field.


We are at the familiar CFRC track, and the recent additions to the size make the venue a really flexible and fun layout.  As we head out for the driver’s meeting, I am in disbelief. The course was using very little of the area. A “high speed” entry was the focus, that had to be immediately scrubbed off as we negotiated a near hairpin, and then a left handed sweeper brushing by 2 walls. This huge area, cut down to 2 turns- 1 transition- and dramatic speed changes. We head out for practice and realize that this layout is not only hard to read, but the outer initiation wall slants out 10 feet+ EXACTLY where you want to kick the car out! The first turn is only set by an inside line of cones, with an imaginary “wide line” to guess about… very similar to last year’s “make it look good” corner that saw 100% different lines getting the top 2 qualifying spots.


A few runs in, I’m doing fine, but it is very boring to come hauling in, initiate, and be coasting off throttle for almost the entire first turn. Then sweeping back near the walls. The judges felt that the normal, awesome layout, would be unfair since locals have run it before. I assume they also repave road courses to prevent that for other locations? It doesn’t matter to me, a few runs in and I am already feeling really consistent on this layout. Practice ends and I feel good about Sunday’s competition.



Almost 10 members of my family come to watch Sunday. They almost never get to see me drive so I wanted to show them a good time! After a short practice warm up, we get ready for business. Qualifying starts and I want to get out there and get it done, no messing around and getting nervous. I had two solid runs and I was confident I would be in the Top16.  Turns out, I’m all the way back to 9th. Perhaps I was too early (2nd car) in the rotation, but I felt I should have been higher, but I’m feeling confident and ready to battle for my spot. Tandem tree puts my against James Evans- one of the best drivers here. We set off on our runs and I followed pretty well. My only spot of trouble was that he got a little gap on me after the first clip. I lead, and as I start to ride the wall I see his nose on the inside of the track. He was too early on transition and it sucked him pretty far offline. We move on to the Great 8 after some tense minutes waiting for the call.

Next up, Nate Hamilton with his new skate inspired look. Nate was today’s #1 qualifier. However, in his first battle, he had to OMT two times with a competition new comer, Kelsey Rowlings. Nate and I have a sloppy set of runs, both having issue on turn 1 when following. A OMT battle is called and I was ready to take him out!  He leads in, same thing again happens to me… the car starts to understeer as we are getting so slow on turn one… then a second later, Nate spins out! I slow to a near stop and go around him and drive back to start. We get sent, and knowing I don’t need to push it, I make a solid run.

Back at the starter we wait the call… like it isn’t obvious who won… and he points to Nate- giving the thumbs up!  WAIT WHAAAAAAAAT?!!?!?!?!  He SPUN OUT?! WHAT?! Nate’s hands are up in confusion as well. The judges claim that I “abandoned” the track after he spun out and that I am required to complete the course. Essentially, if I had made a 100 foot u-turn, on the skid pad, I would have won.


Checking the rulebook at the track, there is no mention of this rule. It was also not mentioned in any of the 3 meetings. When I protest the ruling I get an energetic lecture about how it’s a “known rule” and that I should know better. One “known rule” in drifting is to mimic the lead driver’s line, and when that line stops, and is in my way, I don’t feel I should not be penalized for it. It’s a rough decision, but I guess I’ll drive the course no matter what the leader does from now on.
My 9-month old niece Arwen :)
My weekend was over. My Final 4 spot was gone.  This was the worst kind of loss I have ever had, a clear win taken from me by a 'rule'. We will rise above this and move forward to the next SWD event with FormulaD at Palm Beach International Raceway on June 1st/2nd.





No comments:

Post a Comment