Jason Jiovani's active drift racing blog with videos, pictures, and build up information.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Making a V8 Symphony- Music to my ears!!

After SWD Round 4 at Charlotte, we heard about a new event that overlapped the final round; we had to make a choice….

A 1-day, Final round of SWD Series at VIR (VA) or a 3-day, Holley LS Fest Drift Challenge (KN).  We were out of the points race for the SWD Series, and Holley’s LS Fest would be slammed with spectators and racers of different genres (There was drag racing, autocross, drifting, and car show aspects), plus TV and magazines coverage would be there. It was an easy choice to attend the LS Fest.
This event, ONLY  LSx powered cars could compete. The drifting would be pretty awesome with so much v8 rumbling! After a super long 12 hour drive time overnight haul, we got to Bowling Green, KN- the home of Holley. We got to the track and it was really busy. Took a while to get setup in our spot with all the foot and vehicle traffic. Soon after, it was time to get ready to drive that day’s practice.



10 cars of about 16 scheduled showed up . There were five 240sx, a RX7, a BMW, a Miata, a Skyline, and a 350z. The track was an oddly banked oval, with a raised, but open, infield. The course was a bank to the infield filled with cones. The actual bank was variable steepness and radius, making it a very uneasy bank to be on. The infield section was tightened up a tad too much for my liking (we have V8s, why scrunch us up?). Practice got underway and was going pretty well. Adjustments were made to the course, and I was getting it consistently. We pack up, get some Buffalo Wild Wings, and headed to the hotel to get our first real sleep in 2 days.

Saturday, the weather was gorgeous all afternoon. I made some adjustments to the car and headed to grid for practice. 5 minutes later, it gets cloudy, 5 more its pouring on us.  Oval tracks are like cereal bowls, and there is no good place for water to retreat, especially when its fully paved. We wait out the overwhelming rain, and get a late start on some really sketchy track conditions. Only 4 of us would even drive in the wet. Other drivers scared maybe (?), or saying it’s a waste of practice (I guess they did not check the forecast tomorrow – competition day- was calling for the same rain). I actually ended up liking the rain more than the dry, it slowed down our speeds and the bank was actually less gnarly in the wet. We did some awesome tandems in the wet. After a late running session, we clean up and get some more grub, and hit the hotel.



Sunday, the big day, was finally here. We got to play some on the autocross course (same area- different cone setup). Before I even got to go, the cones were so mixed up, no course was even noticeable. The cone-dodging got even crazier as the demo set went on. I felt really out of shape, but its really difficult to plan your transitions when you don’t see a path!
Only last run, my car lost fuel pressure… only a 90-minutes from qualifying. First thought was I ran out of fuel from so much driving… Sped to the gas station in the truck, got some fuel, got back to the car and started dumping it in. After only 8 gallons (roughly half a tank) worth of fuel, it overflows. All that is telling me is I had plenty of fuel. Hit the key, still no pressure. I pull apart the top of the tank to look at the fuel pump. I just put in a brand new Aeromotive Stealth afterall.  Everything was perfect… except it was not pushing any fuel out. It was definitely turning, but nothing flowing. I let it drip drain the fuel inside it, and magically it was flowing like Old Faithful! We put her back together and fires right up.

Qualifying starts… here’s where the “What?” starts. Judging criteria = entry speed doesn’t matter. It was to the point that we ‘could’ enter at 20mph and clutch kick or come in at 70mph and get it done. Makes no sense, but…ok… moving on. The course itself was only being judge for the first 4 of the total 6 turns there was layed out. Why? Finally, one of the judges had never seen drifting so we were supposed to just make him say “wow”.  (Later we found out he liked slow manji/swaying entries that are 99% of the time frowned upon for competitions!)  With all this odd stuff, I just drove how I know how too… floored into the first turn, straight in, fast as I can, and get nuts. With only a top 8, I qualified 6th.



First battle, I was up against my friend Ben Lewallen. We had a good first battle and went into a OMT set. He spun, handing me an easy victory.

Next battle was Dan Savage. I entered straight in, as he manji’d in. I was pretty close and gaining on him on the bank. He had a steering correction where it looked like he was losing it, I had to tap brakes and it cost me enough sideways momentum I couldn’t make it to the next turn in drift and straightened briefly. The 2nd run I knew I was behind, so I went faster than ever. I did great on the bank and was so fast, I over shot the 2nd turn! Keeping it alive, but making the 3rd turn incredibly sharp now, I spun trying to get around it. I got psyched out by myself, but there was still the battle for 3rd.

James Evans beautiful 350z was leading first. I stuck on him pretty damn close on the bank and all the way through much of the course. He hit the first clipping point and I had no mistakes. Next run, I am out for the win and go even HARDER into the first turn, I run a fantastic run, with a gap over Evans. They didn’t even debate over a OMT, they had a winner!  I was feeling great. I ran a cool down lap and got out to see my girlfriend walking up. I asked if they announced it and she said “Yes, they said he won…”
1st – Dan Savage               2nd- Carl Nadeau               3rd- James Evans               4th- Jason Jiovani

I finished in 4th, but I don’t understand it. I have had some really harsh judging this year. I know it’s part of the sport, but I just can’t understand obvious errors being overlooked time after time. I’m not upset with how I drove, and I am confident that those last 2 runs where my best of the weekend. I am extremely proud of myself for not cheaping out on the entry, and really out-driving the fear of the wall.
On the positive side, HotRod Magazine did an online article. We were the feature picture at the top!

Vance Milton is working on the event video that he captured in HD quality. I’m super excited to see how it comes out and will post it up when he finishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment