Jason Jiovani's active drift racing blog with videos, pictures, and build up information.

Friday, August 28, 2009

Jiovani hits up Aruba!


Aruba!!!!!!!! Amazing Aruba!
This was my first international trip and I was super pumped to have my car tagging along. Its always great to drive no matter what, but having your own car that you love driving with you, just makes it that much sweeter. I was incredibly nervous having not seen the car since August 2nd, and I was holding my breath as the doors opened on the container! The car came out like it went in and I was ready to get her out and get to some work.


We immediately had a short practice session in order to test the track and make a layout that the local Aruban and Curacao drifters would compete on. Unfortunately, fellow driver and friend Harri Tervola's beast of a BMW broke the transmission. The next day we checked a few sights out as our event director acted as a parts locator and we spent 8 hours hopping around the island for BMW transmissions. We spent all of our time Friday and Saturday looking in every alley and junkyard for the correct match- turns out, they don't exist in Aruba :(



During our practice on Thursday, we shot a 6 minute spot for the local news. I opened it with close donuts around the tv anchor, holding his hand as we went around! Then they cut in lots of shots of all of us sliding around the track. Friday we also stopped by one of Aruba's hottest radio stations Top95. We all took turns on the mic and spoke out live to the country.



With Harri unable to drive for the main event on both Friday and Saturday, he helped organize while myself, Ryan Kaufman, and Patrick Goodin took to the track. We setup a simple 60mph course for the locals to try. They usually just do donuts and burnouts and some mild drifting, so this was new to them and the huge crowd that showed up. We had the MC pick out random spectators and threw them in the cars! Everyone I had the pleasure to give a ride to, got out with smiles like this ^^^


We eventually had a judged portion of the show on Saturday. The 4 of us American professionals judges the locals over 3 runs. The winner was then invited to take his stock GTO, and do 4 car tandem with us (see his headlights in back). He was very excited and extremely grateful of the prize. The rest of the drivers all got personal attention with tips and ride-a-longs.

All of the guys were extremely quick to learn and most went from donuts to sliding our course at 40-45mph. They didn't lack anything in car control for the most part, but they had to learn the confidence factor. Its not easy to throw your car into a turn at highway speeds and into a slide. They also had a little work to do in car setup as many were working with near stock machines.
Many enthusiasts and fellow drifters at the event are framiliar with the SR20det as they get them in the 200sx in Aruba. However, no one believed my SR was still stock with just high boost! Everyone kept asking me too see it and took out flashlights looking for NOS, pulleys, Turbos, or anything. They couldn't understand how it could be stock after the drifting I just did. I had lots of fun explaining to them about car setup, and how my clutch, suspension, tires all do their part in making my car awesome. I was most amused by the guy who went and fetched his friend and had me show him the stock motor.

We have already been invited back (with cars) sometime next year. They will be expanding the section we used by about 100% to double the size. The crowd here showed us that they want us back as soon as possible! Driving around town we were getting shout outs and people hollering to us just yelling "Drifters!!! Ya Ya Ya Drifting!!!" and shaking their hands at us. This trip was amazing and one of the most fun experiences in my life. I hope to be a part of future events in Aruba!



Thank you Enrick Lopez for bringing us out to your country and allowing us to do what we love. I also must thank my tremendous sponsors: Nexen Tires, Exedy Clutches, LICO, Extreme Dimensions, KSport, R&B AutoBody, and the boys who ALWAYS deliver the car in good order- All-American Performance!



No comments:

Post a Comment