Jason Jiovani's active drift racing blog with videos, pictures, and build up information.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Up, Down, and All Around!



Hey everyone!!


This will be known as my ROLLERCOASTER update. Up and Down we go.....



First… the climb up: Sunday the 5th, John from All American Street Car Performance (my amazing shop sponsors) came out to a local Desoto practice for a ride-a-long. After the initial shakedown in the mud, puddles, and bumpy track, we had a really solid run. John's first experience in my car went pretty well, and hopefully I can get him out to a faster facility once the LS1 is in the car.
















Down the big hill:
I had brought my wider tires knowing it was 75% chance of rain ALL DAY. Instead, nature decided it wouldn't drop the moisture I was counting on. A few of us were asked to do a demo on the big bank and then we would get to the amateur competition I was there to work as a volunteer. I knew my tires were too big for my car on the banks and even mentioned it to another driver. They just said "Skip the bank then." Well, I left the starting point and decided that I'm no sissy and can just drive her in the corner REALLY hard and force those tires sideways.


Mr. Physics disagreed and as I clutch kicked off the rev limiter and cut in, the car did a very little shimmy and headed for the wall. I managed to brake down quite a bit and nearly saved it, just shanking off the wall. I ended up with a bent front corner, an ugly fender, a bent LCA and a snapped TC rod. Not too bad for what could have been.









Loop-de-loop:
Thursday the 10th I get a call from a TV show (called Sugarloaf) scout, who I had submitted the car and myself to as extras for filming the pilot episode. He informed me I was chosen as well as the car to be in the shoot. Awesomely terrible as I just crashed it for the first time in nearly 2 years! Not to mention I spent the whole night Wednesday getting the wheel off, bent/broken off in prep to fix it all. All we needed was it to park in the background, and the damage is ok. I spent the evening, with some more help from All American, getting the bent pieces 'straight enough' for the car to roll around. I did some body work to get the fenders in decent shape so the car was whole as well.


Friday, I drove an hour to arrive at the shoot at 11:00am. At about 3:00pm they finally asked for the car. As I back up and cut the wheel to turn, I discover unknown damage from the crash. My steering rack was snapped in the middle and when I turned wheel to full lock, it fell out the sides.



Now my steering wheel spins like I'm playing "Cruisin' USA" at the arcade and my wheels are just hanging out, not turning at all. We ended up using ratchet straps on the wheels so one stayed straight, and one could turn with outside assistance. First, with the help of a Florida Highway Patrol SUV we tried to tow it, no dice. We then had 6 people and my in the car, load it back on the trailer, and unload it precisely where they wanted it for the shoot. It took me an hour to get the car 200ft, but we got it done and in the shot. I was not 'on set' for this actual scene as I was not part of it myself. I do not know the angles or visibility of the car for sure, but I know they REALLY wanted the wing and rear of the 'rice rocket' car in the shot.




We were told no pictures, but I talked to the production assistant to get special permission to bring you the shots of the car in the 'scene setup'. The other shots are me being James Bond (spy shots) with my phone. Later, at night, I had to use my amazing skills and actually play an extra in the background walking into a store with 2 other guys. We were finally wrapped for the day at 11:00pm. I spent 12 hours at a place where I was used for about 25 seconds on camera and the car was on set for about 30 minutes total. They only shot 5 scenes all day. This was only a pilot episode so it may or may not be aired, but hell- I tried! How many guys get TV coverage on an actual TV SHOW? Especially a week after hitting a wall!!  Hope it works out and some of your logos are visible!



















Coming to a stop: I was scheduled to drive a short, minor demo at Miami Homestead FARA event on the 20th. However, with the damage to the steering rack and the corners overall damage, I won't be able to make this event and will begin to focus on 2010 and getting the car ready for battle.

Getting ready for the next ride: Over the next month we will be fixing the damage, and more importantly….
We will be undertaking the biggest project yet- the LS1 swap… STAY TUNED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment