Jason Jiovani's active drift racing blog with videos, pictures, and build up information.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Space Drift! We've gone plaid!


Central Florida Racing Complex was hosting a corporate event for a group of investors for Earth Rise Space Inc. https://www.facebook.com/earthrisespace

They were throwing a benefit event to help fund the Google Lunar X Prize competition entry they are making. So, they asked CFRC to hold a drift show with drivers who would give ride-a-longs to the VIPs. I was asked with several other top local drivers to take part. We showed up with our freshly layed graphics and got suited up to go in my full firesuit, to give that REAL racecar vibe to them. Unfortunately, some of the drivers backed out so there were only 5 of us.

The track owner gave us the go ahead to do a few warm up laps to get them interested. Immediately they all started for the stands and as soon as we did 3 passes, our tires needed changed (leftovers).  The warm-ups were done before I was ready, but that was perfect. The next session would begin the rides!


Fresh tires and ready to melt them off, I parked the car right in the grandstand area for the attendees to come check out the car. They were all excited and most everyone was looking over the different setups. Soon I was introduced to my first rider, and shortly after given the green light to start running. As with any passenger, I take my time to make sure they are in the belts correctly and comfortable. I go over what to do, what not to do, and what to expect.

The event was invite only so there were little to no media present. I did get a few shots from my first rider. Unfortunately, the videos her friend took were of no use- so fascinated with the drifting, the camera was aimed everywhere but on the car during the runs!

We ended up taking about 8 riders before the tires and time were done. Best quotes of the night:
“You gave me more pleasure tonight than any other man has, ever!”
“DRIFTING IS BETTER THAN DOING COKE!”  hahahahaha, I can’t make up stuff like that!
I had top level people thanking me for the patience and professionalism I showed with the riders, and of course, for the exciting rides we gave. And while there unfortunately no real media, the event was a great success for them as well as for us. Showing off to a non-traditional fan base and giving a word-of-mouth advertisement for other groups to throw similar events. I had a blast giving people a new and unique thrill without the pressures of competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment