Jason Jiovani's active drift racing blog with videos, pictures, and build up information.

Friday, September 14, 2012

LS Fest - Bigger and Better




We attended the first Drift Challenge held in 2011 at Holley’s LS Fest. The atmosphere was great and the competition was limited to only LS powered vehicles. As the event includes drag racing, autox, drifting, and a car show, there is something for everyone. As the 2012 dates approached, we were focused on the StreetWise Finale, being in a good points standing this season. With no schedule conflicts this year, we ended up being able to make our 2nd appearance in Bowling Green, KY and the drifting class was even bigger.
 


Double the cars, lots of new faces, a faster course, and more support was given to the drifting portion than before. Joon Maeng brought out his Lucas Oil LS13 to do some demo fun runs. Lucas Oil itself supported all of the drivers with loads of free products to try. The guys from Drift INDY, Edgar/Nick/TR, were there to run the logistics and the voice himself, Jarod DeAnda, was there to announce for us.


 
The farthest trip this season, we arrived Thursday after a 14-hour drive and met up with Blane Burnett from Holley. Blane is the guy who makes sure we have a part in the LS Fest. He also has an LS powered 240sx, though he isn’t silly enough to toss it at walls sideways, he appreciates the sport. Friday morning we roll in and pick out a spot on the hill to setup our camp and get the car ready for some practice.


A new layout this year proved to be really fun and fast. The banked entry swept into the infield and you kept the throttle mashed as you transitioned back into the horseshoe turn around and then a final tight flick out toward the wall. The throttle commitment on this track gave some fantastic smoke from the Nexens.  We were constantly filling up the cabin.

 

I was able to give a ride to the marketing director at Holley during the first practice session. I threw a couple of pretty awesome runs and he was pumped on the experience. A short time later. I was able to get a run in behind Joon. I was surprised how well I was able to hang with him through the lap, giving me some confidence in my car. My buddy Ben Lewallen was also killing it, and looked good to make a Top4 or better appearance. Unfortunately, he had a valve spring break and after a valiant effort, realized that more damage occurred, he had to park for the remainder of the weekend.
 
Day 2 started off with a last practice session. I was limited by tires, averaging only 7-8 runs per rear set. I guess I was really hammering on the throttle. The car felt very predictable and I was having a blast giving some rides to my girlfriend Hazel. While all the practice was going on I was watching other drivers to see who was doing well, and who I would hope to not face early on in the competition. The runs that Rapper Dan Savage were laying down were amazing, and Nick Thomas was looking pretty solid as well. A new name to me, Tyson Schmidt, was putting in some work as well.




Drift INDY held a meeting to discuss the qualifying session… or lack thereof. It was decided that, to save time, we would draw numbers 1-16 and make a tree that way. I objected to it, but I was out voted by everyone in favor of the random pulls. Just as I expressed the possibility of 2 good drivers facing off early, Dan Savage and I pull numbers that put us together in the round of 16!  I would start my night with the guy I had pegged to be in the finals.

 


We pair up and head out to do some battling. Ben Lewallen offered to crew/spot for me since he was broken. Dan and I head to the line. I lead first and lay down a solid run, though not my best. Ben tells me that Dan had a mistake behind me and I just need to play it cool. Of course, I make a similar mistake in the follow position, transitioning too hard and we end up being pulled back for a One More Time.  Leading in this time I have a much better line through the bank and kept it going through the run. We head into the next pass and I suck up to Dan during the bank and get right up on his door, matching the angle and we rocket across the infield. I had to check up to give him room to transition, and he got a little distance on me, and we finished smooth. After an agonizing couple of minutes, the judges awarded me the win and I would move on!!


Next we found ourselves against Audi Riza. He had a rough weekend. Showing up with a motor he just got together, he had issues that lead to pulling the motor and getting 0 practice runs until JUST before tandem. I saw his runs, and they were shaky- but he had little time to really figure it out. Now, because of the ‘random’ qualifying, he got up against Barry Clapp in the round of 16 and ended up winning. I lead first and put together a pretty textbook run, Audi left behind. I had much more grip, and speed and he caught some under steer and went off course. As I follow in, I make sure to give some room…  He catches under steer on the bank, I gain on him a bit, some more as he exits the bank, I gain some more and we are going pretty slow and offline. I get some speed back as we transition and I see him start to wobble again, I lift off to not dive into him and it causes me to have a slow half spin, and cut off course. Audi recovered his bobble again and stayed on course. I finish my lap and am worried about how the judges will see it, but I am quickly relieved as it’s announced that I move on to the Final 4.


Up against Tyson Schmidt, this would not be an easy battle. Tyson was looking stellar in practice. Tyson gets to lead in first. I gave him a little room, knowing my car has been pretty fast. I keep good proximity on the first part of the course, and as he went a little wide in the horseshoe, I tucked in, and then he was wide again on final turn so I was inside, on the clip. Lead run I did my typical no lift entry and he stayed pretty close. My bank line was a bit higher and as we came across the infield I put some space between us. His angle was less than mine through the course and after a smooth finish I was set to make my first Finals this season!
 
Sam Henry was my opponent. He is teammates with Audi, but I haven’t seen a single run from him. I get to lead first and he doesn’t keep with me into the course like Tyson did. I put together a really fluid lap and had an advantage into the next pass. Following in I was told that he would probably go wide in the horseshoe section. I followed in, and he gunned in harder than expected- perhaps feeling pressure. He had a gap on me that I closed up by the end of the bank, then on transition he went wide in the shoe and I was under him but left space for him to transition. I made a crazy final transition in unison toward the final clip finishing the course neck-n-neck. Shortly after we pull up, the call was announced that Jason Jiovani was the 2012 Holley LS Fest Drift Challenge Winner!!
 
A mini-celebration ensued. We were awarded our plaques and shook a lot of hands and had some questions and just overall reflection with drivers. Everyone being tired, we cleaned up and headed out for a group dinner and night out.

LS Fest is 3 days, and we were still back at the track Sunday. Setting up the full tent and pit area, there would be spectators returning to see the cars and drivers. There was a open track time slot for us, but with the tires down to nothing, and needing to save the car and last tires for SWD Finale, we sat it out. They had multiple cars on track, but never really a train. Things were a little nuts and I was content with staying on the sidelines. A few cars changed their bodylines in this last session, but nothing too serious. The Top3 drift drivers were called to the Optima Batteries stage for official award ceremony. After receiving our prizes, we finished packing and Hazel and I headed for Florida.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment