Jason Jiovani's active drift racing blog with videos, pictures, and build up information.

Monday, May 21, 2012

StreetWise ProAm1 with FD at Road Atlanta

Kicking off the season the right way can really echo for the entire year.  Leading up to our first round of the StreetWise ProAm Series, we were finally making headway in the car’s handling and sprucing up the look even more. First was the handling. We made some alignment changes, and added the DriftWorks rack offset spacers. We are hoping this helps the binding we keep getting at large steering angles. The spacers change the geometry of the tierod as it moves through the steering arc to help keep it from over-centering.

Our fancy Grip Royal steering wheel, and Circuit Sports hub and quick release were all here and we finally got rid of the ugly stock wheel. The interior is looking pretty awesome with the Autometers, the dash wrap, the new shift knob, and ASD handbrake. Grip Royal has a vast selection of wheels available, but if you don’t see the color you like, don’t be sad!  Grip Royal will get any color you want and get you the look you desire. For us, we chose to match all the driver controls to a similar silver/polish look. I think it came out fantastic!
Lastly, the wing. OH THE WING.  By chance, I met a rad dude (Cody Stanfield) who wanted to help out with the car. One of the aspects was the wing posts. We had talked about wanting to make them taller, but how!?  Well, Cody works at a machine shop, with access to a CnC machine, that’s how!  He spent a huge amount of time working on the design, and layout of the posts so they would plug-n-play with the wing and mounts I already had. Our only setback was we had to check with the FormulaD rule book, which limits wing heights to 16” (we were thinking 20”!). The night we were leaving we installed them and it was AMAZING sitting on the car. Unfortunately, the wing was highly unstable side to side and had to come off for now until we have time to fix it.

 Leaving at nearly midnight on Thursday, we drove straight through the night and arrived at the Nexen tires HQ in Atlanta to pick up some sick tires. We were given the opportunity to run the ultra-performance N9000 and N6000 stagger for the FIRST TIME EVER on our car. The N9000 are so amazing looking and just holding it you can feel the softness of the rubber! Super excited to see how much they add to the car.

We check in at the track at 10:30am and get the car to tech, bunch of little things that they want addressed, so we take our time and fix it all up and get cleared, game on!  George Grob was awesome and had a tire machine and mounted up those fresh Nexens for us.  Already getting dark,  we turn our focus to the rear wing. It hasn’t been seen yet since we took it off, and with everyone gone, we wanted to get it right. After going to the local Home Depot, we came up with a stabilizer idea of making larger mounting plates on the underside of the hatch. After some hacksaw and drill action, we fit the new plates. Stood back and gave her a rough shake…..the wing was almost dead rock SOLID and we celebrated like it was midnight on New Year’s Eve . We were so pumped that we would get to debut it here at Road Atlanta with the crowd FormulaD draws in.

Bright and early the next day at 8:45am, we are set for practice. First run up was a little crazy. We have changed alignment, installed the offset spacers, adjust sway bar settings, haven’t really put the ASD handbrake to a higher speed test yet, and we are also running totally different tire compounds! Not to mention in the driver’s meeting, Andy Yen (FD Judge) explains how hard the new course line is and that many Pros were struggling after the 4 hour practice session they had; we get 1 hour to practice. Back to our first run… head in, and had to redo my intiation as I didn’t throw it hard enough on the new grippy tires. After that,  I was able to stick the line really well! The other 2 practice laps I got we had all the elements, and just had to bring them up a notch to really be comfortable… too bad practice was already over after 3 runs.  With some drivers visiting the kitty litter and other having broken or crashed cars, our time was gone.

Qualifying 3 hours later…  First run,  BEST of the DAY and then I get greedy with angle, almost spinning on the exit of the horseshoe!  I save it and the bobble was ugly, but I had a score. Next run up was everything the first was and much more!  No bobble and a great line and angle gave me huge confidence that we were in for Top16. I can really feel the Nexens added grip as I toss the car around. As we returned to the pits, I dashed into the horseshoe, jumped out, and threw a few shirts to the hungry crowd. They were diving trying to get the J1Nracing shirts!!
Driver’s meeting reveals our last run earned us an awesome 4th place qualifying position! Since our competition was not until 9:30pm (9+hours later!), so we made a few minor adjustments on the car and placed it in the Exedy booth in the pro pit vendor area and went to watch Pro practice and qualifying.

Competition drawing near, we gear up, suit up, and head out to the track. Round of 16 brought us up against fellow ASD Mobster Lee Alexander. The track had changed grip as the temperature had dropped so much since we last ran.


Leading in the car nosed over the first 2 rumble strips and was a little shallow up the hill. I couldn’t get the car to glide across the track as the tires just wanted to grab and go, but it was still a pretty solid run. We did some adjustments, and lined up to follow.


The increased grip was still too much and we lost drift as we started up hill, but at the top of the hill things got crazy. Entering the horseshoe I was getting pretty close to Lee and just then, he had a big correction and got really slow and straightened… I had no where to go, and we made contact!  He pulls away and I’m just hoping I didn’t shatter my sweet headlights LOL! As I’m heading around the course, a terrifying scraping sound as the front is dragging on the ground. Fearing it might go under the car and get exploded, I took matters into my own hands. Put it in 1st, whipped her around, and drove in reverse up the hill! The crowd and announcer apparently LOVED the move as they could relate to not wanting to destroy their kits, LOL! We were awarded the win and moved to Great 8.


The next battle was against a local friend Brett Collins. Driving an S13 with a supercharged 1UZ, he was doing well and was 5th qualifier. I lead first and as I transition up hill- OH NO, too much angle!- I have to straighten up and intiate at the top of the hill- as I start to come around the horseshoe, I see Brett is backwards on track after the first clip. (phew, his spin saved my mistake). I pull up and ask him “What’s wrong?” – “I don’t know, car won’t start!”—“Oh, hold on”….  Brett has a stock bumper-  so I pull behind him,  and inch up… a loud “NO WAY!” rings out from the crowd as I make gentle contact. I roll on into 1st and the crowd goes insane, cheering me on. Eventually pull 2nd gear and push Brett all the way up the hill to his crew.  I stage up and realize it was really odd move, but I was just thinking, he needs help, I got this crash bar here, might as well use it! Unlucky for Brett, his supercharger had thrown the belt and he didn’t have any recourse, so he withdrew. I got the win by default and got to make a fun run- which I utterly obliterated the track with my best run of the night!



Final 4 put us against the number 1 qualifier of James Evans. We both had some mistakes and were told it was declared a OMT. As I followed him in, I was gunning for the win. I enter and get RIGHT on him, it’s ridiculous how aggressive I’m being, but I know James is a solid driver and its pretty safe move.  His car was so loud, I didn’t hear my RPMs so low that I bogged a split second after the first clip. I had to accelerate and reinitiate up the hill, leaving me at a disadvantage on the next run. I absolutely KILL the run and even hit the outside clip marker with my bumper- knocking it off as well. James is a great driver and stayed smooth and I was knocked to the consolation round.

Doug Van Den Brink, a drifting veteran and former FD pro competitor (who currently holds a legit FD license) somehow spins out and lands in the battle for 3rd against me.  The first time we faced off was in 2006 where I won, and last year at Zmax where he won. This will be our personal tie breaker!  Leading first, I take off, hard on the throttle like I’m running from a nuclear blast! Enter suuuuuper early and lay down possibly my BEST run of the night!  We swap positions and head down the hill.  As we dive in, I decide that I’m going to enter before he does. I rip the ASD brake and a split second later he enters and I suck RIGHT up on his side!  It’s PURE INSANITY! I might be closer than I was to James just last round!

I am more aware of my RPM’s and keep her ripping up the hill, staying decent proximity on Doug back down the hill. As we finish off the course I BARELY keep it on I’m going so fast!  Top of the hill we sit, waiting on word---   I get the thumbs up!!  I WON!  I give a fist pump to my crew waiting up the hill further who explode and jump around with high fives!

We drive in and again toss a couple shirts out to the fans that stayed late to watch. Awards are set to go out tomorrow, during intermission between FD Top32 and Top16 rounds. We head to the pits and after some laughter and handshakes we get to work on the front and rear bumpers so the car is ready for the Exedy booth in the morning.

Awards were about 6pm, right at the FD podium down the row from Exedy. We pull up and time it so the crowd is dumping down from the stands during intermission. Awards go off with Jason Jiovani (3rd), James Evans (2nd) and Bill Stenger (1st).  I brought up some shirts (crowd LOVES shirts!), sprayed some champagne, and tasted some victory!  I try to drive the car back to Exedy, there are so many people I can barely move. As I roll on, people are drooling over the car, the wing, and the dash as I pass by. Non-stop comments and pictures as we make our way; our car is definitely a crowd pleaser!

Hanging out in the booth a bit, I had a fan come up and ask for an autograph! We got a marker and signed on his Exedy bandana, immediately igniting my own autograph session. After it died down, I headed up to watch the main event and cheer for my fellow Nexen drivers!


This event was crazy from the time we left until the time the car hit the trailer, but this is always my favorite event. I love Road Atlanta.














No comments:

Post a Comment