Jason Jiovani's active drift racing blog with videos, pictures, and build up information.

Saturday, April 21, 2012

I Love Drifting

We had some minor things to tweak on the car and John did some quick work to make sure the car was safe to run on course.  Most notably was a new crash bar design, and an alignment.  I was getting really anxious to feel some of the changes in the car as the weekend neared.

Friday, I was messaged about shooting a commercial for the CFRC track early morning Sunday, before the event. So, suuuuuuper early on Sunday we headed for CFRC. Unload and give the new hand brake a quick test. Feels way better, I’m really excited to actually use it on track and put it through a real test!  While we wait on the commercial camera guys to setup, I do a few basic donuts to just see that nothing is really odd in the steering, and there is no clearance issue with the fenders or bumper. Everything checks out and... MAN DOES IT FEEL GOOD TO BURN SOME RUBBER!  After almost 6 months, I instantly remembered why I pour so much effort into this sport!



The premise of the commercial was to show off the variety of events they hold. Myself and FD Rookie Patrick Goodin were to give a short autox style pass using the return roads at the end of the drag strip, then we got a shot of us doing a side by side turn into a straight. Next, we cut to a tight 90* right hander that leads to the drift track. The film guys are on a moving car next to/on  the course. We started off on a normal course run (this portion was filmed later in the day, I was having some binding in the steering still), intiated ALONG the cart, and right mid-entry the steering locks up, and waiting for it, Pat jumped out a good gap on me, but it was a clean run from us both and was good enough for the film guys. Lastly, we rolled onto the drag strip and did standing into rolling burnouts and roared down the strip. The commercial should be pretty sweet and we might add more shots as they edit and see anything, but it was fun to do something creative and different like that!

No waiting here! CHECK OUT THE COMMERCIAL NOW!


Prior to the drift run with Pat, we got to get some shakedown runs in the car. Now, we have added big front and rear sway bars, and now have bumpstops back on the car (with the new FLCA’s);  we did not change any settings on the suspension or the tires so we could see the differences. WELL…First run out I take it EASY and spin THREE times! 3! In a single run!! It was madness. I jumped out and took out about 7-8 psi in each rear tire.



Another run, slow-mo spin entry (hand brake works great!) and then the rest of the course I’m steering a TON just to keep her in control. I never have worked the wheel so much while drifting. We take out another 5psi, and go get the adjustment tool for the shocks. I make them so soft, your mattress would be jealous. Take it back out for last minutes of the first session and I link the course finally. It wasn’t a ‘killer’ run, but it was a huge improvement.


In between our groups sessions, I take out some more stiffness on the coils, and then remove those new bumpstops that were killing my angle; you never realize the deep angle you get until it’s gone! Second session out the car was even better! Getting great angle, and much less steering work needed, though we are getting some binding at aggressive angles and flicks. I have to dial back the aggression some, but we start putting in some pretty solid runs. The change was so evident, I had many seasoned drivers come talk to me about what I changed and how much it showed.











After talking with Ian over at ASD, we are making some more advanced adjustments to regain the balance in the car and then a few more tweaks to have the car on point! We are returning to CFRC this Friday night to continue testing, our last good chance, before Road Atlanta in May!




No comments:

Post a Comment