Jason Jiovani's active drift racing blog with videos, pictures, and build up information.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

V8s are Awesome.

Before we begin, I have a quick intro to a new sponsor for 2010!!





ENJUKU Racing.com, a long time (drift involved) parts site has decided to help a few ProAm level guys this year and I am happy to be a part of the ER team. I have always been competing against Enjuku's cars as my friends Matt Vassallo, Rob Fleming, and Bill Sherman drove for them. Enjuku has always provided some of the best people and huge parts support for the SR20det crowd. Keeping with the trends, they have recently started to dabble in the V8 projects as well.  :)  The pic to the left is actually me in 2004, trying out for the original ER team! Check them out :
http://www.enjukuracing.com/ and http://enjukuracing.com/blog/ !


Over the last month I took a huge amount of time off to get this car built with a ton of help from John, Dave, and Shaun at All American Streetcar Performance. I learned a lot and re-enforced why I need guys like this supporting me!

First job was to strip the Camaro of the parts we wanted. With the wrecked front, it was easiest to just remove exhaust, unbolt trans mount, take out driveshaft, and then unbolt subframe+upper control arms. Then we just raised the lift off the motor! It looks like Doc Brown drove this! hahaha




We next stripped off the extra parts like a/c, emissions stuff, and stock parts that were to be replaced. I got the engine and transmission all separated and put the engine on a stand to do some work. I replaced my rod bolts with ARPs to help strengthen the motors ability to ride in the high RPM ranges experienced in drifting.






I also replaced the stock oil pump with a high volume Melling pump. The original LS1 timing chain is also weaker compared to the new model (from the LS2) so I also changed that. Finally, the front sump pan and new pickup was installed.

Next up was the new SLP Harmonic 25% Underdrive balancer. We also refreshed gaskets on the front accessories, and got the TurnOne Powersteering pump and custom lines made.









Before bolting up the 6-speed back to the motor it was time to install the life-changing Exedy HyperTwin.


















I took the time to freshen up the engine bay so it looked pretty and not 20 years old dirt and grime. I wish I took a before shot- you'd never believe what it looked like!


Finally it was time to drop the motor in the car and the craziest part is that the exhaust headers (I got amazing 1.75" primaries that look awesome) have to slide in ever so slightly and has the steering column going between the pipes. We got the racing radiator and fans in from Mishimoto mounted up as well. Installed E^3 Spark Plugs and some new 8.5mm plug wires. Filled her up with some RedLine Oils, and made a custom intake with a huge K&N 9" filter that just dominates your attention. Custom battery mount, fuel, brake lines and then wires and a TON of work over many days to get the engine bay to this point here:


The interior of the car I stripped down to bare minimum and painted a primer gray to make it uniform. I have my Pro 5.0 shifter with my K-Sport Hydraulic Handbrake mounted vertically (for increased pull force). The stainless steel braided lines running back and ported through the floor to the rear brakes. Finally the accusump in the rear seat area to ensure my motor never loses oil pressure (something notorious for LS1 in drift/road racing situations).


















John and the guys had some input for exhaust and we ordered the parts. John did some pretty awesome magic stuff and we ended up with dual 2.5" piping running the length of the car. We utilized an X-Pipe and then twin bullet, 2-chamber mufflers. The sound coming out of this car now is just ridiculous and might be the best part of the car haha!! Check out John's work!







Though the sound quality doesn't convey the awesome of the car, below is a short video that we got of the cars first full start up with the exhaust. The car will be going to getting a few final touches tomorrow morning, then to the body shop. We are going to ping-pong the car out for a test session this weekend (then back to bodyshop) so we are ready for the Road Atlanta ProAm on the following weekend. I'm really excited to get back behind the wheel this weekend and see what she can do!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment